Pages

Saturday 9 June 2012

French Open 2012: Rafael Nadal wary of Novak Djokovic threat


Rafael Nadal has played down his status as favourite to beat Novak Djokovic in the French Open final on Sunday.

Nadal is aiming for a record seventh title at Roland Garros but faces the world number one, who has beaten him in the last three Grand Slam finals.

"I don't feel I'm the great favourite," said Nadal. "I'm going to play against the number one."

Djokovic said: "The facts are on his side. But I feel different nowadays. I believe I'm at the peak of my career."

Djokovic is trying to become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four Grand Slams at the same time, but says that his not his main motivation.

"I'm not thinking about that," said the Serb. "It's not about prestige or whatever, being better than one person. I'm thinking about myself, my career, and just trying to win every match I play in."

Djokovic beat Roger Federer in straight sets in the semi-final and knows the size of the task facing him against Spaniard Nadal, who has a 51-1 winning record on the Paris clay.

"It's the ultimate challenge," said Djokovic, 25. "But I believe [the game against Federer] was the best match of 2012 Roland Garros for me, so I've raised my game when I needed to.

"I played really well when it was most important, so that's something that gives me confidence before the final."

Nadal has beaten Djokovic three times at the French Open but was keen to avoid any hint of complacency.
"You cannot be relaxed against the number one player in the world," he said. "[The semi-final win over David Ferrer] just gives me confidence. It confirms that I am playing well. I have played well almost every day. That's the most important thing for me.

"For sure, I will have my doubts. For sure, I have to respect my opponent. He beat me a lot of times. But I am here to fight for every ball and to try my best in every moment."

Nadal, 26, would break the record he shares with Bjorn Borg if he wins a seventh title at Roland Garros, but he says the prospect does not add extra pressure.

"The pressure is the same every year," he said.
"I am here because I try my best every day and because I have a lot of motivation, the desire to try to win the tournament, not because it's the seventh, because it's Roland Garros.

"So seriously, the extra pressure for me is zero. In the end, if it finally happens, it's going to be another thing that maybe is important, maybe not that important. For me, the important thing is Roland Garros."

via http://www.bbc.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment