Pages

Saturday 9 June 2012

RG12 - 'It's a magnificent moment in my career. I'm really speechles_Sharapova completes the Slam as world #1


Maria Sharapova has completed a career Grand Slam after seeing off the challenge of Sara Errani to win the French Open.
The new world No 1 swept Errani aside to win 6-3, 6-2 and claim her first Major since the 2008 Australian Open.

Sharapova is the 10th woman to achieve a career Grand Slam, following in the footsteps of the likes of Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf and Serena Williams.

Sharapova was presented with the trophy by three-time winner Monica Seles.

Describing Seles as an inspiration, Sharapova said: 'It's a magnificent moment in my career. I'm really speechless. It's been such a journey to get to this stage.

'I have so many people to thank, especially my wonderful team. But most importantly my mother and father. They're my rock, they keep me together and they've kept me going through all the tough times and the good times.'

Errani will break into the top 10 on Monday, and she said: 'I don't feel like top 10 but I will be top 10. It's incredible for me, I can't believe it and I'm so happy for that.'

Errani is totally at home on clay and could boast one more title than her opponent from a breakthrough season but there was no disguising the power advantage of Sharapova. 

She made the perfect start to the second set, breaking the Errani serve to love in the opening game, and then staved off a break point as the Italian sought to level at 2-2.

Sharapova was certainly not having things all her own way but she was winning the points that mattered, and she moved 4-1 ahead after a lengthy Errani service game. 

The Italian was trying everything to knock Sharapova off her stride, including plenty of trips to the net, but, after pulling one break back, she promptly lost her serve again as the Russian powered away a backhand winner. 

That left Sharapova serving for the title, but again Errani made her work very hard for it. The Italian had made many fans with her never-say-die attitude and she saved two match points, one with a pinpoint drop shot, but on the third Sharapova was simply too good, the Russian sinking to her knees in celebration.




Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2156856/French-Open-2012-Maria-Sharapova-beats-Sara-Errani-final.html#ixzz1xJtjTExJ



No comments:

Post a Comment